Anderson Cooper on Monday tore into Donald Trump for “hijacking” the White House coronavirus task force briefings, accusing the president of using them as a campaign platform ahead of the 2020 election.
Trump is determined to “rewrite the history of his early and reprehensibly irresponsible response to this virus” at the daily news briefings, said the host of CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360°.”
The president downplayed the threat posed by the contagion for weeks as it spread, and his administration’s response as the toll soared has been criticized as slow and sloppy. The U.S., now the epicenter of the pandemic, has more than 367,000 confirmed cases and almost 11,000 deaths.
“What the president showed us today is what the nation’s top scientists have to deal with every day,” said Cooper, who said Trump was using the briefings as a “reelection platform” and “an opportunity to lie, to deflect, to attack, to bully and cover up his own deadly dismissals of the virus for crucial weeks.”
Check out the segment here:
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- What to do if you can’t pay rent right now
- How to switch off from work when home is your office
- Why we should forgive student loans for doctors on the front lines
- How to make a face mask with just a bandana
- How long does coronavirus live in the air?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
Also on HuffPost
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.