I love my husband dearly. We work together, play together, laugh together and raise our family together. Recently, his actions brought to mind a comment Bill Cosby once made. It was something to the effect of "Men aren't dumb. They just pretend to be so they don't have to do certain things." What made me think of this statement? Laundry. I walked into the laundry room to do a load of wash and found the washer filled with damp, mildewing clothes from a "wash" that my husband probably started and forgot about 2 days ago. Now I have twice the work to do than when I first went in there.
To me, that isn't helpful. When my husband tries to help around the house, it usually makes more work for me. After talking about this with a girlfriend of mine, I realized it's common problem with husbands. So I thought I would write a few things down to help the average male keep peace in the household. Gentlemen listen up…
Related: 10 things you should NEVER say to your husband...but probably do
1. Doing Laundry = Washing, drying AND folding the clothes.
2. Doing dishes = Not just getting them to the sink, but, filling the sink with soap and water, washing everything in it, and then putting them away. If you have a dishwasher, you load it, TURN IT ON, and empty at the end of cleaning cycle.
3. Changing the baby = Remove dirty diaper, wipe the baby clean, put clean diaper on, AND THROW OUT DIRTY DIAPER.
4. Taking care of the children = Keeping them safe AND FEEDING THEM.
5. "Getting the baby" in the middle of the night = Feeding, burping and changing the diaper (if needed).
6. Making dinner = Preparing the food and then putting ingredients away, as well as putting all the puts and pans in the sink.
7. Dressing the children = Choosing clothes THAT FIT, fastening, buttoning, and possibly match pieces.
8. Dropping kids at school = Feed them breakfast, dress them neatly, and GET THEM THERE ON TIME.
- By Jo Dee Messina
For 3 more helpful hints for husbands, visit Babble!
MORE ON BABBLE
7 things I wish I knew about men before I got married
20 funny excuses women give to get out of sex
20 things ALL women do but hate to admit
The 15 best marriage tips from the worst husband ever
6 fights you should have with your spouse
Stay connected. Follow Babble on Facebook and Twitter.