What to Read Next

Can You Fly with a Passport If You Legally Changed Your Name?

Love + Sex
November 5, 2012

Getty Images
Getty Images

by Jacqueline Gifford for Brides

Whatever jet-setting question you have, Jacqueline Gifford, our resident expert on all things travel, is ready to help!

Related: 11 Things You Should Never Do Before Your Wedding

What should I do about my passport if I'm legally changing my name?

If you're traveling right after the wedding, you should just travel with your old passport in your maiden name. But, be sure to buy all airline tickets for your honeymoon under your maiden name, too-the two must match. For example, when I married Rob back in January of 2008, I changed my maiden name from Neiss to Gifford on all my credit cards, my drivers license, etc. right after the wedding. We were taking our honeymoon cruise in the Baltic that July, but, in order to get a good deal on airfare, we bought the tickets before the wedding. So, my airline ticket was booked under Jacqueline Carole Neiss, and I traveled with my existing passport under my maiden name. As soon as we got back, I sent a certified copy of our marriage certificate in to the State Department and requested a new passport (visit the official site for info on forms and fees) and had my shiny new blue book as "Jacqueline Carole Gifford."

More from Brides:
Modern Lace Wedding Dresses
Our Favorite Celebrity Engagement Rings
25 Wedding Hairstyles Inspired by Celebrities
The Most Beautiful Cakes in America

How Older Men Tighten Their Skin

Men, reduce the look of wrinkles, sagging skin and fine lines with this affordable and effective skin tightening treatment without leaving your home.

Time is Running Out

Just 11 days remain to enter for a shot at $5,000 A Week “Forever.”

Find Out Anything About Anyone. Enter Any Name.

A new site has made it easy to find out the truth about the people you already know and people you meet! Simply type in a name and select a state!

Drivers With No Tickets In 3 Years Must Read This

If you drive less than 50 miles per day, there is a way to pay less for auto insurance that few people realize. Are you overpaying?

Drivers With No Tickets In 3 Years Must Read This

United States drivers are stunned that they never knew this. If you drive less than 50 mi/day, you better read this...

Banks Are Worried Homeowners Will Do This.

Homeowners are surprised and furious. If you owe less than $625,000 on your home, you better read this.

Bring Home This Heart-Warming Disney Movie Offer!

Get 4 Disney Movies For $1 With Membership. See Details. Exclusive Titles, Merchandise, Offers & Discounts. Plus, Free Shipping On Your Initial Order!

How Can Refinancing Your Student Loans Save Money?

SoFi can help you reduce your student loans and help you pay off your debt hassle free!

Powerful Tactical Flashlight Flying Off Shelves!

This new tactical flashlight was just released to the public and is flying off shelves in the United States. Limited supplies left, act quick!

Free simple federal returns.

State is $9.99. See offer details.

Help Erase Credit Card Debt with a Personal Loan

Are you paying too much on your credit cards? Consider a Personal Loan to help consolidate your payments.

VA Mortgage Rates In 2016

VA Rates as Low as 2.75% (3.028% APR) 15 Year Fixed. Exclusive For Veteran & Military Takes 1 Min!

An Overlooked Method To Pay Off Your Credit Card

If you're paying credit card interest, you could save hundreds or thousands of dollars by transferring your balance to this no-fee card.

Kid sleep troubles email series for moms

We get it. We’ve been there. Sign up for our email track to learn how to handle kids who won’t go to sleep or won’t stay in bed.