A clean shave and you're out the door? Not anymore. These days it's not unusual to go for a pedicure and turn to see a dude sitting in the chair next to you. A survey in the U.K. showed a 66 percent increase in the number of men visiting beauty salons in the last year alone, and documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock recently explored the "evolution" of male grooming habits in the movie Mansome.
With celebrities like David Beckham, Tom Cruise, and Jay Z reportedly indulging in beauty rituals that rival those of their (ex-) wives, it's no surprise men are going to more extreme measures to look dapper. From Bro-tox to laser treatments and even liposuction, guys are getting primped, plumped, and waxed to perfection.
"Men have been requesting procedures like Botox and laser treatments more and more because it's become less taboo for them to get these services and many even have wives and girlfriends encouraging them to do [it]," explains New York City based dermatologist Dr. Eric Schweiger, who estimates patients in his practice to be about 60 percent women and 40 percent men, mostly in their early 30's. Here are the six most popular appointments men are making!
RELATED: 7 Tips for Your Best Orgasm Ever
1. Bro-tox: Rumors have been rampant that 50-year old Tom Cruise gets regular Botox injections to look as young as his ex-wife Katie Holmes.
"More and more men are getting the wrinkle erasing injections, often at the suggestion of their significant other, or because they feel they want to look younger or more at ease in the boardroom. The most commonly treated areas are forehead wrinkles and the furrows between the eyes," Dr. Schweiger says. "Men are also asking us to inject their armpits to curb excessive sweating," he adds.
2. Dermal fillers: Women aren't the only ones who want to look younger by plumping up their faces. "Dermal fillers are injected into the skin and subcutaneous tissue to treat facial folds and wrinkles to replace volume that has been lost in order to give patients a more youthful appearance" Dr. Schweiger says. He says the most common areas that men are using fillers are the nasolabial folds or so-called smile lines and the lower eyelids-to decrease the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
3. Laser treatments: Guys are getting laser treatments to remove unwanted tattoos, fix a botched hair transplant, and most commonly, to erase acne scars, Dr. Schweiger says. "The most effective treatment for severe acne scarring is the Fractional CO2 laser, which pokes microscopic holes in the skin to stimulate the production of new collagen to fill in the acne scars and create smoother skin."
4. Tanning: The Jersey Shore guys aren't the only ones who GTL. Men everywhere are starting to realize that a sun-kissed glow goes a long way, and that faking it is the way to go. Actor Bradley Cooper created a stir when he showed up at the Valentine's Day movie premiere with a less-than natural looking skin tone.
"We definitely have guys that come in for a spray tan because they found out the miracle of contouring and how it makes you look more sculpted. They also use it to get rid of 'sock tans!'" says Cindy Barshop, owner of New York City spa chain Completely Bare. In fact, a spray tan can even be used to create the illusion of 6-pack abs!
5. Waxing: Typically when it comes to men, they usually want to replace hair that's falling out, much like actor Jeremy Piven has done, not remove it. But lately things have changed. It's hard to forget that scene in 40-Year-Old Virgin where Steve Carell's character gets his chest (painfully) waxed in order to attract more women. But it's more common than you think! In fact, men are getting their chests waxed, brows shaped, and surprisingly, even bikini waxes on a regular basis!
"We have a lot of male clients who typically get their backs, chest, shoulders, neck, and even Brazilian bikini waxes," Barshop says.
6. Cosmetic dentistry: Veneers are common among male Hollywood actors who have million-dollar paychecks relying on their movie-star mugs. But perfect smiles have also trickled into the mainstrean.
"Men are realizing that a great smile can help open doors in love, careers, and in life," says Dr. Ira Handschuh of the Dental Design Center in New York City. So they're shelling out hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars for treatments like professional teeth whitening and porcelain veneers.