Fabio's chicken skewers with orange and chili are a simple, slam-dunk recipe great for an easy family dinner.
- Secrets to perfectly grilled chicken skewers: The type of skewer you use matters. Metal skewers are best for foods cooking for longer than five minutes…wooden skewers must be soaked and can still burn.
- Skewers or kebabs can be the perfect vehicle for some really great sauces and marinades.
- Kebabs are fun for kids - be sure to pick vegetables the kids will like.
- If meat is marinated, make the leftover marinade into a dipping sauce! Just be sure to boil and reduce the leftover marinade for at least five minutes, in order to reduce the risk of food-borne illness.
- Cut your chicken into small pieces. Even-sized bites work best. Use veggies about the same size of your chicken cubes, for even cooking.
Orange Chili Chicken Skewers
Recipe by Fabio Viviani
Yield: 4 servings
1/3 cup white wine
2/3 cup orange juice (or the juice of 2 oranges)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 lb. pearl onions, halved, keeping root-end in tact
3 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
10 oz. cherry, grape, or teardrop tomatoes, in assorted colors
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Special Equipment: 10-12" metal skewers (If using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes, to reduce possibility of burning.)
In a large bowl, whisk together wine, orange juice garlic, red pepper flakes.
Add chicken cubes and toss to combine, making sure all pieces are covered in marinade.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
When ready to cook, preheat a stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. If using a gas or charcoal grill, heat to medium-high.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and pour the leftover marinade into a saucepan.
Heat marinade over medium-high heat and boil for at least 5 minutes. The marinade will reduce and thicken.
Build the skewers, threading the chicken, onions, peppers, and tomatoes as desired.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Place the skewers on the heated grill or grill pan, and cook for 10-12 minutes, basting frequently with the reduced marinade and turning often, for even cooking on all sides.
Remove to a platter.
Drizzle with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with remaining reduced marinade alongside as a dipping sauce.