Birthday? Anniversary? Going-away party? This super-easy, one-bowl layer cake is the perfect dessert for any gathering of chocolate buffs.
• Yield Makes one 8-inch double-layer cake
• Unsalted butter, softened, for pans
• 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder, plus more for pans
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
• 3/4 cup warm water
• 3 tablespoons safflower oil
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• Chocolate Frosting
Try one of these delectable chocolate frosting recipes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 8-inch round cake pans (2 inches deep); dust with cocoa. Sift cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a mixer.
Beat on low speed until just combined. Raise speed to medium, and add eggs, buttermilk, water, oil, and vanilla. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
2. Divide batter between pans. Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn out from pans. Transfer, faceup, to wire racks. Let cool completely.
3. Spread 2 cups chocolate frosting onto top of 1 cooled layer. Top with remaining layer; frost top and sides with remaining 2 cups frosting.
Unfrosted cake layers can be stored, wrapped in plastic, at room temperature or refrigerated overnight. Frosted cake can be refrigerated overnight.
Great Cake Recipes
Our Best Cupcake Recipes
10 Ways to Save Energy at Home
Our Favorite Kitchens
Our Cutest Pet Themed Desserts