Nothing represents Cajun-style cooking better than gumbo, especially when it's made by gumbo cooks from New Iberia, Louisiana for the World Championship Gumbo Cook-Off. We went to New Iberia looking for the best mélange style gumbo (mélange basically means anything goes) and we found it!
Award-Winning Mélange Gumbo
By Aaron Guilbeau (and the "Just Havin' Fun" World Championship Gumbo Cooking Team sponsored by LoveWorks, The Camp Lounge, and Mr. and Mrs. Pat Stamand)
Makes 10 servings
Prep time 1 hour
Cook time 2 hours 30 minutes
Ready time 3 hours 30 minutes
1 cup flour
1 cup vegetable oil
1 ½ gallons of water
2 cups of onions, diced
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 ½ pounds of smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
1 pound of Tasso
5 pounds boneless, skinless turkey thigh meat cut, seasoned and marinated
1/2 cup chopped green onion tops
1. Combine flour and oil in a heavy iron pan. Turn stove to medium-low heat and stir non-stop for 20 minutes or until it turns dark brown. Be sure not to burn. This is your roux.
1. Pour water into a large stock pot. Bring water to a boil. Add the roux.
2. Let roux and water boil 1 hour (watch for over boil you may need to bring to medium heat).
3. Add onions, bell peppers and garlic cook for 30 minutes.
4. Add Tasso and sausage and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Add turkey and cook 30 minutes. Season to your liking with your favorite creole seasoning. Pour 1/2 cup chopped green onion tops into pot. Serve over rice in a large bowl.