"Toddler drinks whiskey"
It sounds like an awful Toddlers and Tiaras spin-off, but unfortunately, an actual little boy in the U.K. accidentally drank half a glass of 40 per cent whiskey at a restaurant that was supposed to be serving him fruit juice.
According to the Daily Mail, Little Sonny Rees's family had taken him to Frankie and Bennie's restaurant to celebrate his second birthday. His mom, Nina Rees, ordered him a fruit cocktail, and when the drinks arrived, Nina encouraged him to drink up because he was eating salty foods.
"We had finished our first course when we noticed he was pulling a face as he was drinking," Nina tells the Daily Mail. "I took it from him and took a sip myself. It was whiskey, I would say a double. As soon as I sipped it I had the slight burny feeling in my throat and warming in my chest."
She says that her son had taken about 10 sips and was "clearly intoxicated."
Seeing her two-year-old drunk would likely send any mother into a panic, and that's exactly what Nina did, crying and complaining to the management, who at first told her it was her mistake.
After a call to 911, the little boy was rushed to emergency and was asleep by the time he got there. Medics monitored him and then sent him home, where he later threw up.
The restaurant later acknowledged the error accompanied by an excuse that seems plucked straight from a Peter Sellers flick, apparently there was a stag party at the bar and the drink orders got mixed up.
Management also gave the family 50 per cent off their bill and called Nina and the police the next day to apologize. And, of course, they promise that there's a whole new system in place so that this sort of thing will never happen again.
Now that we know little Sonny is fine, we'd like to point out that before the adults realized Sonny was drunk, his family took photos of him drinking the whiskey and water. He's really going for it.
So what does a parent do if their child has been drinking hard alcohol? Parenting.com recommends that you call poison control or 911 immediately. Alcohol can be very harmful, even deadly, to a small child.