CNN’s Chris Cuomo said he’s still battling COVID-19 two weeks after he was first diagnosed and is now experiencing psychological symptoms he believes are caused by the coronavirus disease.
“This virus creates emotional illness and creates psychological illness,” he told CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta. “It is in my head, not just figuratively, in terms of messing with you because you’re sick for a long time.”
Gupta said it’s causing depression, brain fog and edginess in patients who have the coronavirus infection.
“I am experiencing that,” Cuomo said. “It messes with your head, this virus, and I don’t know where it leads you afterwards.”
.@chriscuomo shares an update on his own battle with coronavirus:— Cuomo Prime Time (@CuomoPrimeTime) April 14, 2020
“I’m ready to get out of the basement. I’m sick of being sick. I’ve had it. I want to get back to work. But I’m not ready and I don’t have a plan to be ready.” https://t.co/hxZmIKRlAW pic.twitter.com/H5vzjdj9KV
Cuomo also said he’s still battling a low-grade fever, which he finds “maddening,” but he said his breathing is getting stronger.
But he said he’s not there yet ― and considers himself to be a metaphor for the country as a whole right now.
“I’m ready to get out of the basement. I’m sick of being sick. I’ve had it, I want to get back to work,” he said. “But I’m not ready. And I don’t have a plan to be ready.”
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Can someone outside of your household quarantine with you now?
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus and grief
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.