Cuomo, broadcasting from his basement and in quarantine from the rest of his family, described rigors ― or shivering from fever that reached 103 ― so severe he chipped a tooth.
“These are not cheap, OK?” he said, referring to his teeth.
“It is maddening to have a fever all the time,” he said at one point in the show, and at another point described the feeling in his head: “like somebody was beating me like a piñata.”
He also described hallucinations, including seeing his father, the late Gov. Mario Cuomo of New York.
“My dad was talking to me, I was seeing people from college, people I hadn’t seen in forever,” he said. “It was freaky what I lived through last night. And it may happen again tonight.”
CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta joined him to talk about the infection ― and even urged Cuomo to take some time off to recuperate.
“I know you’re a warrior,” he said. “But you’re allowed to take a day off.”
Cuomo also shared some good news: His family tested negative, meaning he didn’t pass it on to them.
See more of his descriptions of the symptoms ― and his conversation with Gupta ― in the clips below:
.@ChrisCuomo: "Care enough to not just to stay home but to stay on our leaders to make sure that they are doing everything they can to limit this."— Cuomo Prime Time (@CuomoPrimeTime) April 2, 2020
"How do you want to be remembered during this time?" pic.twitter.com/zKnIndUGwn
“What good is it to say you are praying for [coronavirus patients] and there are angels on Earth if you are not doing everything in your power to help them? What good is a prayer?” asks @chriscuomo, who himself is infected with COVID-19. pic.twitter.com/vNnzkOg9Qa— Cuomo Prime Time (@CuomoPrimeTime) April 2, 2020
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- How long are asymptomatic carriers contagious?
- Heads up: Not all your tax deadlines have been postponed
- I just got out of a COVID-19 ICU. Here’s how I made it through.
- How to make a no-sew coronavirus face mask
- Why some people might have trouble getting their coronavirus rebates payments
- What to do if you live with someone with COVID-19
- There’s a simple game that can stop a tantrum cold
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism – and keep it free for everyone – by becoming a HuffPost member today.
This article originally appeared on HuffPost.