A wildfire is burning out of control in Shelburne County, forcing the evacuation of several homes in the area of Little Harbour.
The provincial Department of Natural Resources and Renewables tweeted Monday morning that the blaze — which started Sunday afternoon about 40 kilometres southeast of Shelburne — is still out of control and 20 per cent contained.
The department says it's estimated to be about 10 hectares in size and there have been no reports of structural damage.
A helicopter is on site, as well as 17 department staff and nine volunteer firefighters.
An RCMP spokesperson said Sunday about seven or eight homes in the area had been evacuated.
The spokesperson said traffic was being controlled and no one was being allowed into the area.
Little Harbour Fire Department chief Dale Richardson said crews would be watching the winds closely on Monday as they are expected to pick up
"We will try to completely contain it today, and the earlier the better, because conditions are severely dry. It's unbelievable how dry conditions are," Richardson said in an interview.
He said the fire came within several feet of a few buildings, and there may have been some "blistering of paint" but that has been the extent of the damage.
Laura McLauchlan was forced to leave her home on West Sable Road on Sunday. She said she was walking her dogs on Louis Head Beach when she noticed fire a short distance away.
"It was very scary," said McLauchlan. "It's an education to me, how fast fire moves."
A burn ban is in place Monday until 2 p.m. AT for all regions in the province.
It's the second wildfire crews with the Department of Natural Resources and Renewables have been battling in as many weeks.
A fire that broke out early last week southeast of Weymouth, N.S., grew to roughly 119 hectares, but was under control by Friday evening.
MORE TOP STORIES