"The Drew Barrymore Show" is no longer returning to TV amid the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes.
The show previously resumed filming and was set to premiere its fourth season on September 18.
Barrymore backtracked on the show's decision to return after receiving backlash.
"The Drew Barrymore Show" is no longer returning to TV in September.
"I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show's premiere until the strike is over," Barrymore said in a statement Sunday on Instagram. "I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today."
She added: "We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon."
Barrymore's announcement comes 12 days after Deadline initially reported the show was planning to return to TV for its fourth season without its three unionized writers. The host immediately received backlash from the Writers Guild of America, which has been on strike since May.
At the time, the announcement prompted other shows, including CBS' "The Talk" and HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher," to follow suit and announce their own returns to television without WGA writers. Both shows are now also withholding their returns to air.
As taping for "The Drew Barrymore Show" initially resumed in New York City, Barrymore was in a public back-and-forth with the WGA and its supporters over the show's controversial return to television. Eventually, Barrymore backtracked on the show's decision to return.
Here's everything to know about what's been going on with "The Drew Barrymore Show."
Drew Barrymore defended her daytime talk show's return to TV on September 10 in a now-deleted Instagram post
Barrymore shared her decision to return to her CBS syndicated program in a lengthy Instagram post, which she deleted Friday, telling fans that as they "launched live during a global pandemic," their show was "built for sensitive times."
Barrymore said the show is "in compliance" with the strike by not discussing and promoting struck work, per SAG-AFTRA strike rules.
"I am also making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me. I own this choice," Barrymore wrote of her daytime talk show on Instagram on September 10.
Barrymore added: "We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind. We launched live during a global pandemic. Our show was built for sensitive times and has only functioned through what the real world is going through in real time. I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience. I hope for a resolve for everyone as soon as possible. We have navigated difficult times since we first came on air. And so I take a step forward to start season 4 once again with an astute humility."
WGA members and strike supporters accused Barrymore of crossing the picket line
Comments on Barrymore's post asked the host to "reconsider" returning to her show, calling her a "union buster," and claiming she's "not in compliance" with the strike.
"I've been on strike for 133 days as a writer and 60 days as an actor and it's clear you're determined to undermine the fight. This decision is actively working against those you're claiming to support which means you're either being willfully ignorant or you truly don't care," writer, actor, and producer Natasha Rothwell ("The White Lotus") commented on Barrymore's Instagram post.
WGA members picketed the show since taping resumed on September 11 at the CBS Broadcast Center in New York City.
Barrymore was subsequently dropped from hosting duties at an awards show
Following the announcement of the show's return, the National Book Foundation dropped Barrymore as the host of its upcoming annual National Book Awards.
"In light of the announcement that 'The Drew Barrymore Show' will resume production, the National Book Foundation has rescinded Ms. Barrymore's invitation to host the 74th National Book Awards Ceremony," the organization wrote on social media. "Our commitment is to ensure that the focus of the awards remains on celebrating writers and books, and we are grateful to Ms. Barrymore and her team for their understanding in this situation."
—National Book Foundation (@nationalbook) September 12, 2023
Was 'The Drew Barrymore Show' scabbing?
When Barrymore announced the show's return, the East coast branch of the Writer's Guild of America posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, that any writing on the talk show "is in violation of WGA strike rules."
—Writers Guild of America, East (@WGAEast) September 10, 2023
Deadline reported the show's fourth season would introduce a new segment called "Take Care Everywhere" in which Barrymore and founder of The Menopause Bootcamp Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz discuss "tough questions many are too embarrassed to ask" their doctors.
But isn't Drew Barrymore a SAG member?
But according to CNN, SAG-AFTRA said the actor and host is in compliance with her contract and that the production isn't struck.
Vulture's Josef Adalian described it best in layman's terms. Barrymore's not breaking SAG rules by showing up for hosting duties and fulfilling contractual obligations. If she doesn't show up for work, she risks Paramount Global seeking legal action for not following through on her contract.
It put the host in a bit of a Catch-22. Support the strike and risk legal action against yourself or abide by your contract and receive backlash for appearing to not back those on strike.
2 audience members supporting the strike were removed from 'The Drew Barrymore Show'
Turiczek and Carter said they were handed WGA buttons by picketers as they were making their way into the show for a free taping and were asked to remove the buttons at security.
When Turiczek kept his pin on and was spotted by a security officer, he said they were asked to leave. As a result, the two joined the picket lines outside the show wearing WGA shirts.
—Deadline Hollywood (@DEADLINE) September 11, 2023
In a statement to THR, a spokesperson for "The Drew Barrymore Show" said, "It is our policy to welcome everyone to our show tapings. Due to heightened security concerns today, we regret that two audience members were not permitted to attend or were not allowed access. Drew was completely unaware of the incident and we are in the process of reaching out to the affected audience members to offer them new tickets."
Turiczek and Carter told Deadline they didn't see themselves returning to the show.
Did Drew Barrymore respond to the backlash?
Barrymore posted a now-deleted emotional video to Instagram, apologizing to striking writers, and explaining her decision to return saying that she took full responsibility for her actions.
She did not address requests to reconsider resuming production.
"I know there's just nothing I can do that will make this OK for those it is not OK with," Barrymore said. "I fully accept that, I fully understand that. There are so many reasons why this is so complex, and I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anyone. It's not who I am."
—Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) September 15, 2023
The host continued, calling this a low point: "I deeply apologize to writers. I deeply apologize to unions."
Barrymore directly addressed the question "why am I doing this?" by reiterating that the show won't break rules.
"I wanted to do this because, as I said, this is bigger than me, and there are other people's jobs on the line," Barrymore said. "And since launching live in a pandemic, I just wanted to make a show that was there for people in sensitive times."
In her explanation, Barrymore equated the strike to the COVID-19 pandemic saying, "I weighed the scales and I thought, if we could go on during a global pandemic, and everything that the world has experienced through 2020, why would this sideline us?"
Reviewed by Insider, Barrymore's video post was filled with comments, again, asking the host to "reconsider" the show's return and to "meet the demands" of her writing team.
One commenter wrote, "We're not asking for you to bring your show back in the middle of a strike...?, That's not 'being there' for us, it's turning your back on us."
In response to the video message, the WGA said to Insider in a statement Friday, "Drew Barrymore should not be on the air while her writers are on strike fighting for a fair deal. In reality, shows like this cannot operate without writing, and that is struck work."
Barrymore deleted her Instagram posts and reversed the show's decision to return
Both statements were deleted from Barrymore's Instagram page on Friday evening.
Two days later, they were replaced with a new statement from Barrymore announcing the host's decision to "pause the show's premiere until the strike is over."
Barrymore's representative didn't respond to Insider's request for comment.
Read the original article on Insider