Earl Thomas has already threatened to hold out over his contract situation.
The 29-year-old Seattle Seahawks safety told ESPN in January that he doesn’t plan to report this fall without a contract extension.
Earl Thomas started extension campaign before Pro Bowl
“I want to finish my career there,” Thomas said prior to the Pro Bowl. “I definitely don’t see myself going out there not signed. But I’m going to continue to work my butt off and enjoy this process at the Pro Bowl.”
Thomas increases pressure on Seahawks
With no reported progress on an extension, Thomas amped up his rhetoric on Instagram Monday, asking the team for a trade in lieu of a new deal.
“Extend,” Thomas wrote. “If you don’t want me let’s make a trade happen I understand it’s a bizz.”
Thomas has one year and $8.5 million remaining on a $40 million deal he signed after the 2013 season and clearly wants to cash in on another big contract before turning 30.
Thomas one of remaining members of Legion of Boom
The Seahawks have mostly moved on from the “Legion of Boom” era that Thomas played a starring role in and netted a Super Bowl win in 2014. Key defensive players Richard Sherman and Michael Bennett are among the notable Seahawks to leave Seattle this offseason, and it remains unclear if the team has interest in investing further in Thomas.
What does seem clear is that the two sides appear headed for a stalemate if common ground isn’t found.
More from Yahoo Sports:
• The Instagram account that pokes fun at the reality of Minor League life
• Of course LaVar Ball says he could’ve beat LeBron James one-on-one in his prime
• Ben McAdoo ‘at peace’ about decision to bench Eli Manning last year
• Poker player Tony Miles apologizes for ‘slow roll’ comment about champ John Cynn