Dutch model Lotte van der Zee died Wednesday after suffering a heart attack while on vacation in Austria. The former Miss Teen Universe was in a coma for two weeks after going into cardiac arrest the day before her 20th birthday, Dutch website AD reports.
Van der Zee, who was from Enschede in the eastern Netherlands, won Miss Teen Universe in 2017.
“It is incredibly surreal that our dearly beloved Lotte is not around us anymore,” her family wrote in an Instagram post announcing that she had passed. “Our hearts are truly broken. We would like to thank you all again for all the support and heartwarming messages.”
Van der Zee was on a birthday ski trip with her family in Westendorf, Austria, at the time.
Her parents told the local Dutch paper De Limburger that she had returned from a night out with friends “cheerfully and without health complaints” the night before the heart attack. They said they went to check on her the next morning and realized something wasn’t right.
She was taken to the hospital, where she was placed in a medically induced coma. She was later transferred to an academic hospital in Germany, according to an Instagram post from her family, but she suffered organ failure.
Her parents plan to have tests done to determine what brought on the sudden heart attack.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
- ‘Craziness’: Brawl over crab legs at buffet restaurant caught on video
- 6 pillows you need to try if your back pain struggle is real
- Teacher suspended after encouraging students to tell parents about 58-degree temperatures in classroom
- Experts say these 8 bedtime products are game-changers
- GoFundMe for waitress who received homophobic slur on check delivers ‘the tip she deserved’