Hawaii officials urged relatives on Tuesday to come forward and give DNA samples to help identify missing people in the wake of the devastating Maui wildfires, as authorities continue to investigate about 1,100 names of those unaccounted for.
Of the 2,500 names they've gone through, about 1,400 people have been found safe and accounted for, FBI Special Agent in Charge Steven Merrill said during a press briefing, leaving about 1,100 names to investigate. Officials are asking family members to head to the family assistance centers set up around Maui to submit any identifying information of their missing loved ones, including dental and medical records, as well as a DNA sample.
Maui County Prosecutor Andrew Martin, who is leading efforts for the family assistance centers, encouraged families who are not able to travel to Maui to call and arrange DNA submission.
Maui Police Chief John Pelletier clarified that as of Tuesday, the list of names of those unaccounted for did not include any minors' dates of birth, but said there are still names without DOBs confirmed.
DNA sample collecting is "a lot lower than they've seen in other disasters," Martin said, though there wasn't an explanation given as to why. "That's why I'm here today, that's why I'm asking for this help."
"We do expect to see a lot more loss of life," Gov. Josh Green told Honolulu ABC affiliate KITV earlier on Tuesday. "It's going to be tragic. I want to brace everyone for that."
The death toll from the devastating fires that erupted on Aug. 8 now stands at 115. "We're gonna have some people be reunited ... we're gradually reconnecting them," the governor said. "Other people will be found and have perished."
Searches have been completed at single-story homes, officials said Monday, and crews are now focusing on scouring for survivors and victims at multi-story residential and commercial spaces.
Green said the search of the remaining areas will take "at least a week, maybe two."
"Those buildings are very fragile, and they have to use some additional equipment to peel back some of the levels of floors that collapsed," he said. "That takes a little bit more time. In some cases, we'll have to suspend dogs and firefighting personnel over the area."
As the search carries on, the government has come under scrutiny. Damaged and fallen power lines may have been behind some of the blazes. And officials have come under fire for not activating sirens to warn residents, especially since some survivors who fled the flames reported not having any cellphone service or power.
Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez said an outside organization will investigate the state's and county's preparation and response. The review will "ensure that all aspects of the incident, including any potential shortcomings in preparation, response and communication are thoroughly examined," Hawaii state Sen. Jarrett Keohokalole said in a statement.
Green vowed that the fires will be investigated and officials will "then do everything we can to improve and prevent this from ever happening again."
"But this is the process right now -- to try to get through the rest of this acute phase of the recovery, and then move to some of those questions," the governor told KITV.
ABC News' Meredith Deliso contributed to this report.