The president of the USA, Donald Trump, took time out from leading the country through a global pandemic on Sunday - despite the US having more Covid-19 cases than anywhere in the world - to tweet about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.
Last week, it was reported that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex - who will officially step back as senior working royals this week - have relocated to Meghan's native city of Los Angeles after spending the last few weeks in Vancouver, Canada.
After hearing this, Trump took to his infamous Twitter account to air his thoughts on who should pay for the couple's security detail when they reside in the US.
Spoiler: He thinks it should be them.
I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom. It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 29, 2020
In response, Meghan and Harry have clarified that they have never intended to ask the US government for support for security while in the country.
On Sunday, a spokesperson for the couple told the BBC: 'The duke and duchess have no plans to ask the US government for security resources. Privately funded security arrangements have been made.'
In their January statement announcing their decision to become financially independent from the monarchy and step back as senior members of the royal family, the couple said they would divide their time between the UK and North America.
'This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity,' the statement read.
After an agreement was made between the Sussexes and the Queen, Prince Charles and other senior members of the royal family, details of the couple's transition were shared on their new website, including details of security.
'It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son,' a statement said.
'This is based on The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years. No further details can be shared as this is classified information for safety reasons.'
Last week, Meghan's first post-royal venture was announced. The former Suits actress lent her voice to the Elephants documentary coming to Disney Plus which is benefitting the Botswana-based charity Elephants Without Borders, a cause close to the Duke and Duchesses' hearts.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
In need of more inspiration, thoughtful journalism and at-home beauty tips? Subscribe to ELLE's print magazine now and pay just £6 for 6 issues. SUBSCRIBE HERE
You Might Also Like