Mom's urgent warning after toddler loses eye to popular Christmas decoration

“The weighted stocking holder fell and hit him directly in his left eye.”  (Photo: Getty)

Decorating the house for the holidays is a fun annual tradition for most families, but one mom is warning other parents that even seemingly-innocent Christmas decorations can potentially be hazardous to kids. Nicole Mackintosh Leo understands this only too well.

Three years ago, Leo’s then 14-month-old son tugged on a weighted stocking holder when it fell on his face, causing serious injuries.

In effort to prevent other children from getting injured, Leo detailed the incident in a Facebook post gone viral.

“Not a fun post, but an important one as you begin decorating for the holidays. Three years ago, my son (then 14 months) was at home with his nanny when he pulled on a Christmas stocking and the weighted stocking holder fell and hit him directly in his left eye,” she wrote in the post. ”

ALSO SEE: 3-year-old boy with severe dairy allergies dies after school serves him grilled cheese

“Please reconsider using weighted stocking holders. There are much safer alternatives,” Leo said. (Photo: Getty)

After emergency surgery, Leo said the doctors determined that the damage was “too extensive” and that he would need to have his eye removed. One week later, he had enucleation surgery (removal of the eye).

But their story has a “happy ending,” according to Leo.

“Our son has a flawless prosthetic eye. He is one of the silliest, bravest, most fun-loving boys I know. He plays soccer, t-ball, and he loves swimming. We are lucky. I hope by posting this, I’m raising awareness,” she added, with one final plea:

“Please reconsider using weighted stocking holders. There are much safer alternatives. We use 3M Command hooks. Please share. Please help us raise awareness.”Leo has since set her Facebook profile to private, but her message was shared more than 4,000 times, reaching thousands of parents across the globe!

ALSO SEE: Mom promotes safe sleep practices after infant daughter suffocates on blanket

In the early part of the 20th century, tinsel contained lead, which put people at risk of lead poisoning. (Photo: Getty)

On a similar note, Christmas tinsel was  once deemed so risky that the FDA had to regulate it .  In the early part of the 20th century, tinsel contained lead, which put kids at risk of lead poisoning.

In 1972, the FDA and tinsel makers altered the way they made the popular decoration — although the change was reportedly kept secret for fear that people who preferred the lead variety would stockpile on it!

What do you think — are you careful when you hang Christmas decorations in your home?

Let us know what you think by commenting below and tweeting @YahooStyleCA!
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram