Advertisement

Palace Denies Reports That Kate Middleton Was in a Coma After Abdominal Surgery: 'Total Nonsense'

The Princess of Wales is currently recovering at home following an abdominal surgery last month

  • A Spanish media outlet reported that Kate Middleton was in a coma and in "great danger" during her recent health scare.

  • A palace source slammed the claims as "total nonsense" and "totally made up."

  • The Princess of Wales is currently recovering at home in Windsor following an abdominal surgery last month.

The record is being set straight on Kate Middleton's recent health scare.

Following the Princess of Wales' abdominal surgery in January, journalist Concha Calleja falsely claimed on the popular Spanish news program Fiesta that Princess Kate, 42, was in a coma due to complications, The Times reported.

"The doctors had to take drastic decisions at that moment because of the complications that arose," she said, according to The Times. “The decision was to put her in an induced coma. They had to intubate her. There were serious complications that they didn’t expect because the operation went well, but the postoperative period didn’t go so well."

<p>Chris Jackson/Getty</p>

Chris Jackson/Getty

Calleja reported that Kate's life was in "great danger" following the surgery and that "practically an entire hospital" was set up in the royal's home for the recovery process. Other Spanish media outlets also picked up the report.

However, a palace source vehemently denied the claims, PEOPLE understands.

"It’s total nonsense," a palace source told The Times. "No attempt was made by that journalist to fact-check anything that she said with anyone in the household. It’s fundamentally, totally made-up, and I’ll use polite English here: it’s absolutely not the case."

<p>Chris Jackson - WPA Pool/Getty Images</p> Kate Middleton visits the Windsor Family Hub on June 6, 2023

Chris Jackson - WPA Pool/Getty Images

Kate Middleton visits the Windsor Family Hub on June 6, 2023

Related: How Kate Middleton and King Charles' Surgery News Differed from Past Royal Statements on 'Personal' Matters

Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that the Princess of Wales underwent a "planned abdominal surgery" at The London Clinic the previous day. While her diagnosis was kept private, it is known to be noncancerous.

The palace added that the surgery was "successful," but her recovery would require her to stay at the hospital for up to two weeks. After 13 days at The London Clinic, Princess Kate returned home to Windsor on Monday, where she will continue her recovery. She is not expected to return to royal duty until after Easter, the palace said.

"The Princess of Wales appreciates the interest this statement will generate. She hopes that the public will understand her desire to maintain as much normality for her children as possible; and her wish that her personal medical information remains private," Kensington Palace said in their initial statement on the health news. "Kensington Palace will, therefore, only provide updates on Her Royal Highness’ progress when there is significant new information to share."

Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!

Prince William is taking some time away from royal duty to help his family during his wife's recovery.

<p>YUI MOK/POOL/AFP via Getty</p> Prince William and Kate Middleton at a Buckingham Palace State Banquet on Nov. 21, 2023

YUI MOK/POOL/AFP via Getty

Prince William and Kate Middleton at a Buckingham Palace State Banquet on Nov. 21, 2023

Related: Former Patient at Kate Middleton's Hospital Details Recovery After Abdominal Surgery: 'It's a Bit Scary at First'

King Charles also underwent a medical procedure this month, seeking treatment for an enlarged prostate.

On Jan. 29, Charles was captured in photographs leaving the hospital through the front entrance after his discharge, while Kate, in line with her wish for privacy, departed discreetly.

Royal author Robert Hardman tells PEOPLE exclusively, "In both the Princess and the King's cases, this shows a handling of very personal, very delicate matters that you wouldn't have seen in the past. It would have been a much more guarded response. It shows they are adapting to the times."

"Yes, the public has a right to know some things, but not everything," he adds.

CHRIS JACKSON/POOL/AFP via Getty King Charles and Kate Middleton in 2021
CHRIS JACKSON/POOL/AFP via Getty King Charles and Kate Middleton in 2021

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.