Palace furious at 'shocking breach' after private talks leaked

Kristine Tarbert
·Features and Health Editor
·2 min read

The royal family has made it clear that many of the accusations made by Harry and Meghan during their explosive interview with Oprah will be handled 'privately'.

As such, it's no surprise that royal insiders claim the palace is furious after details of 'unproductive' conversations between Harry and his family were discussed on US television.

 Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge attend the annual Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey in London.  The prince’s Clarence House office reported on Wednesday, March 25, 2020 that the 71-year-old Prince Charles is showing mild symptoms of COVID-19 and is self-isolating at a royal estate in Scotland, also saying his wife Camilla has tested negative. (Phil Harris/Pool via AP)
The palace is said to be furious over Gayle King's involvement. Photo: Getty

Gayle King, who is a friend of Meghan's, revealed on CBS This Morning that Harry has indeed spoken to both his father Prince Charles and his brother Prince William.

However, she also told millions of viewers the conversations thus far had been "not productive".

RELATED:

According to The Sun, palace bosses are believed to be outraged over the leak to the TV host, branding it “a shocking breach of trust”.

Buckingham Palace has also ordered a “three-line whip” banning aides from talking about the Oprah fallout, the publication reports.

william and harry
William is said to be deeply upset about Harry speaking to Gayle. Photos: CBS/Getty

William is also said to be "deeply distressed" with Harry and Meghan's decision to share private family conversations with the journalist, a source told Entertainment Tonight.

"I did actually call them to see how they were feeling, and it's true Harry has talked to his brother and he has talked to his father too," Gayle King said on CBS This Morning.

"The word I was given was that those conversations were not productive, but they are glad they have at least started a conversation."

Gayle also said the couple were "frustrated" that alleged racism in the royal family had dominated the news agenda since the interview was broadcast on March 7.

Meghan raised allegations of racism in the royal family during her sit down with Oprah Winfrey, while Harry spoke about how his father Prince Charles had 'cut him off' financially and at one point stopped taking his calls.

During the interview, he also described his damaged relationship with Prince William.

meghan markle during interview on CBS
The Palace wanted to handle Meghan and Harry's accusations privately. Photo: CBS

In a brief statement after the interview aired, Buckingham Palace said allegations of racism made earlier this week by Prince Harry and Meghan were “concerning” and would be addressed privately by the royal family.

"The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan," the statement on behalf of the Queen said.

"The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately."

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.