Looking for more of the best deals, latest celebrity news and hottest trends? Sign up for Yahoo Lifestyle Canada’s newsletter.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have cut ties with four of the biggest tabloid news outlets in the United Kingdom.
On Sunday, the Prince Harry and Meghan Markle released a public letter stating the couple will forego any interaction with the Daily Mail, The Sun, The Mirror, The Express as well as any of their affiliate online publications. The move comes less than a month after the royals formally stepped down as senior members of the royal family, choosing to become financially independent and establish Los Angeles as their home base.
In the letter, the Sussexes state their belief that “a free press is the cornerstone to democracy” but condemn the outlets for not upholding “an obligation to the truth.”
“It is gravely concerning that an influential slice of the media, over many years, has sought to isolate themselves from taking accountability for what they say or print - even when they know it will be distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason,” the letter read. “When power is enjoyed without responsibility, the trust we all place in this much-needed industry is degraded.”
This evening Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan told the editors of four major British tabloids that they will never deal with them again. Their letter — written by representivies for the couple and sent to the Daily Mail, Express, Mirror and The Sun — can be read in full below👇🏻 pic.twitter.com/SwF3afIBvG— Omid Scobie (@scobie) April 20, 2020
The statement continues by reiterating sentiments from the couple’s 2019 lawsuit against the Mail on Sunday. In October of last year, Prince Harry announced the couple were suing the tabloid, citing the “human cost” of the outlet’s “malicious” and “relentless propaganda.”
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they know- as well as complete strangers — have their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising,” they continued. “With that said, please note that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be engaging with your outlet. There will be no corroboration and zero engagement.”
According to the couple, their decision is “not a blanket policy for all media” or an attempt to “shut down” or “censor accurate reporting.” Instead, the move is intended to prevent stories “based on a lie” from being disseminated to the outlets and their large audiences.
Moving forward, the Sussexes have intentions to work with international media, of all kinds, specifically “grassroots media” and up-and-coming journalists whenever possible to help promote young and diverse voices.
“What they won’t do is offer themselves up as currency for an economy of clickbait and distortion,” the statement concludes. “We are encouraged that his new approach will be heard and respected.”