SWPL: Glasgow City fall further behind Rangers and Celtic after draw with Hearts

Glasgow City's Emily Whelan (right) is denied
Glasgow City could not find a way through the Hearts defence

Glasgow City have fallen further behind city rivals Rangers and Celtic in the Scottish Women's Premier League after being held to a goalless draw by Heart of Midlothian.

Rangers continue to lead by a point over Celtic after a 3-1 win over Spartans.

Celtic are now seven points clear of City, who have a game in hand, after beating Dundee United 2-0.

Hibernian thrashed hosts Montrose 8-0, Aberdeen beat Motherwell 5-2, while Partick Thistle piled more misery on the league's bottom side, Hamilton Academical, with a 3-0 win.

Brogan Hay opened the scoring for Rangers prior to the interval, with Michelle Colson doubling the hosts' lead on the other side of the break.

Their two-goal cushion was reduced to one following a blunder at the back after goalkeeper Jenna Fife allowed a Rachel McLauchlan pass back to run into her own net, but Megan Bell swept in Rangers' third with a minute of normal time remaining.

Celtic had temporarily climbed into pole position after the early kick-off as Fran Alonso's side scored either side of the break - Imane Addi nudging the ball beyond the goalkeeper and the second diverting in off the head of Tiree Burchill.

City's grip on the title slipped further as they and Hearts failed to capitalise on periods of dominance and break the deadlock.

The hosts remain in fourth, six points behind City but only now lead Edinburgh rivals Hibs courtesy of goal difference.

Hibs closed the gap as 18-year-old forward Abbie Ferguson bagged half of her team's goals with two in the opening half hour and another couple in the final five.

Shannon Ferguson scored two, Eilidh Adams also got her name on the scoresheet from the penalty spot, while Erin Ross provided an own goal.

Thistle are two points behind Hearts and Hibs with a game in hand after goals from Lucy Sinclair, Cara Henderson, from the penalty spot, and Emma Lawton saw off Hamilton.

Aberdeen leapfrogged hosts Motherwell into seventh, with striker Bayley Hutchison scoring four of her side's five goals.

Her opener was cancelled out as Carla Boyce equalised on the stroke of half time.

However, after the break, Darcie Miller restored Aberdeen's lead and Hutchison then scored another three goals before Kayla Jardine's stoppage-time reply.