The Duchess of Sussex may not receive the vital support of her friends as witnesses in her court battle over claims that her privacy was breached, it has emerged. Lawyers for Meghan have said it would be “an unacceptably high price” for the Duchess to be forced to identify the friends in pursuit of her legal claim against the Mail on Sunday (MoS) and that it would be a “cruel irony” should she be required to pay it. She is arguing that naming them would breach their privacy under the European Convention on Human Rights, while the newspaper argues that they must be disclosed as a key principle of "open justice". But it is claimed that the prospect of being named in court - as normal procedure would require - has left them reluctant to take the witness stand voluntarily on Meghan's behalf. Documents submitted to the court by the Duchess’s legal team state: “It is not certain that the friends will be witnesses at the trial of this claim and the Court cannot be required to second-guess the result of any application for anonymity.” Describing the friends as "innocent third parties", the Duchess’s lawyers go on to state that they “are not parties to this action but unwilling participants.” They add: “To force the Claimant, [the Duchess] as the Defendant [Associated Newspapers] urges the Court to do, to disclose their identities to the public at this stage would be to exact an unacceptably high price for pursuing her claim for invasion of privacy against the Defendant in respect of its disclosure of the Letter. “On her case, which will be tried in due course, the Defendant has been guilty of a flagrant and unjustified intrusion into her private and family life. Given the close factual nexus between the Letter and the events leading up to the Defendant’s decision to publish its contents, it would be a cruel irony were she required to pay that price before her claim has even been determined.” The Duchess has applied for an order on behalf of the five that their names remain confidential, as part of her battle with the paper and it’s publishers, Associated Newspapers, but there is no certainty this will be granted by the trial judge, Mr Justice Warby. The five – who can be identified only by the initials A to E, but are all described as “young mothers”– gave briefings to People magazine, a US publication, last February. At the time Meghan was "heavily pregnant", "vulnerable" and being subjected to what she claims was bullying by parts of the media. People revealed the existence of a letter to her father which was subsequently published in MoS, prompting the ongoing High Court action for breach of privacy and copyright. Justin Rushbrooke QC, barrister for the Duchess, told the High Court that she had been forced to identify her friends in a legal request by Associated Newspapers and added that the five were entitled to "a very high level of super-charged right of confidentiality". Antony White QC, representing Associated Newspapers, told the court: "The five individuals have already been identified, not under compulsion but as part of the response to the request for further information. The question is not should their identities be disclosed – that has happened – it is should they be anonymised in these proceedings? "There is no proper evidential basis [for the application]. There is no evidence at all from four of the five friends, and the evidence from the fifth [Friend B] has been shown to be unsatisfactory." In an embarrassing moment during the application Mr Rushbrooke accidentally let slip the surname of one of the five. Mr Justice Warby, who is expected to rule on the matter in August, immediately directed that the individual's name was not to be reported. It was disclosed earlier that the Duchess had agreed to pay in full £67,888 in costs to Associated Newspapers after the publisher successfully argued that elements of her case be struck out - a fraction of a multi-million legal bill which is expected should the case go to a full trial next year.
Princess Anne's daughter Zara Tindall has been handed a driving ban after speeding through the Cotswolds in her LandRover.
Thailand's King Maha Vajiralongkorn stripped his 34-year-old consort of all royal and military titles on Monday evening, in a shock move less than three months after she became the first woman to be anointed with the noble rank in nearly a century.
A vegan in Western Australia who took her neighbours to the supreme court in a failed bid to stop them from using their barbecue has said she is considering further legal action.
McDonald's have admitted that their 'eco-friendly' paper straws cannot be recycled, while previous plastic ones could be.
Three students have been banned from their end-of-year prom after skipping revision classes to attend a school climate strike. Ellie Kinloch, Tyler McHugh, and Isobel Deady, all 16, missed school to take part in a climate change youth protest in Manchester city centre on Friday 24 May.When they returned to Albany Academy in Chorley, Lancashire, they were told by headteacher Peter Mayland that they would not be allowed to attend the end of year prom on 28 June. But all three pupils said they informed the school of their plans beforehand and belive the protest should have been considered an “exceptional circumstance”.Mr Mayland says their attendance at the Youth Strike 4 Climate protest represents an “unauthorised absence”, for which the pupils should be disciplined.The students' parents met with the headteacher and offered to pay a fine, have their children go to detention or embark on some sort of environmental project to help the school.School officials have refused to reverse their decision.Ellie's mother, Karen Fogg, said: “They've done nothing wrong in five years at this school, they’ve never been in trouble once.“You’ve got children [going to prom] with worse disciplinary records who have done far worse than skip school for something they believe in.“We accept it as an unauthorised absence but we don’t accept the weight of the punishment.”The 24 May protest was inspired by 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg and was open to students who believe in combating climate change.Karen Kinloch, Ellie's mother, said: “The day before the protest they were told it was not authorised and that it would put everything at risk.“But the school told this to the girls and not us as parents.“If they had told me in advance I would have made a decision, we've spent £500 on Ellie for the prom in dresses, tickets, transport.“Ellie is devastated. We all are. We’ve never felt so strongly about anything like this.“The others are livid with it all, everyone is pretty upset.”The students were told about the prom ban on Monday 3 June, which was the first school day after returning from half term and the first school day after attending the protest.Ms Kinloch added: “The girls don't drink or smoke, they are good kids. This is what they believe in and what they’re passionate about. It’s a good thing.”Mr Mayland said: “Albany Academy has an excellent reputation, based on the high standards we have, especially for students' attendance, behaviour and safety.“Our rule on attendance during exams has been in place for many years: Year 11 children need to be in school to prepare fully for their GCSEs.“Where a student has unauthorised absence, we apply sanctions. We do this fairly and we always take into account the needs of individual students and their specific circumstances.“We make our expectations to parents and students very clear, both verbally and in writing.“For Year 11 students, our prom is a voluntary privilege, and one element of our celebrations of their time at Albany Academy.“This privilege may be removed in the event of poor attendance or poor behaviour during the final term of Year 11.”Wendy Bicknell, Ellie’s godmother, warned that it set a bad precedent for being honest with schools on such matters.She said: “It tells me that honesty isn’t the best policy.“If they had just said they were ill and not told the truth this wouldn’t be happening.”Janine Deady, Isobel’s mother, said she feels the school is “making an example of our daughters for taking strike action”.She said: “We hear so often that young people are apathetic but it’s not the case. The girls are an example of that.”Ms Deady said Isobel decided to join the protest after seeing a lot of things in the media about environmental damage, including the Our Planet documentary with Sir David Attenborough.She said: “Isobel considered very carefully taking the day off for the strike action, it was not taken lightly at all.“She considered it very carefully before making the decision because there is nothing else open to them at their age as a way of expressing themselves.“They can’t vote and will be the generation most affected by damage to the planet.“We consider it was exceptional circumstances. It comes as the government has declared a climate emergency. I was happy for her to express herself and join the youth fight.“The punishment doesn’t fit the crime. This was her first unauthorised absence in her five years there.”A petition has been launched Change.org by Ms Bicknell in a bid to have Mr Mayland reverse his decision.SWNS
Taking pride of place, surrounded by over a dozen heads of state and prime ministers at the commemorative event on Southsea Common, where thousands of men gathered 75 years ago ready to embark on the D-Day landings with no guarantee that they would come home. Princess Elizabeth was 18 at the time.
A woman who criticised the Duke of Edinburgh after their cars collided near Sandringham has been banned from driving for six months over four unrelated motoring offences. Emma Fairweather, was a passenger in a Kia which was involved in a crash with Prince Philip's Land Rover on 17 January. Fairweather was left with a broken wrist and called for the 97-year-old to be prosecuted if he was found to be at fault - and said she was upset no one from the royal family had contacted her to offer an apology - something he later did.
After two days of waiting, the public have had their first glimpse of the newest royal addition - named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor. The baby boy was introduced to the world by his parents the Duke and Duchess of Sussex at St George's Hall, Windsor Castle, on Wednesday, in front of a small group of waiting media.
The Duchess of Sussex has appointed her own delivery team to oversee the birth of her first child, it has been claimed. In a break from royal tradition, Meghan has reportedly opted not to use Royal House gynaecologists because she does not want "men in suits" supervising her birth. According to The Mail on Sunday, the 37-year-old duchess has appointed an "unnamed female doctor" to lead the team instead of Alan Farthing and Guy Thorpe-Beeston.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex can start putting the finishing touches to the baby's nursery with the news they're finally in their new home. It is understood the couple have now moved into Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor estate with only weeks to go until their first child is due to be born. It officially marks the couple's move away from Kensington Palace where Harry enjoyed his time as a bachelor before Meghan moved in with him at the estate's Nottingham Cottage in 2017.
George Clooney has called for a boycott of The Dorchester in London and other luxury hotels owned by Brunei after the tiny oil-rich nation announced new laws making homosexual acts and adultery punishable by death.
A high-profile French author and television presenter has triggered uproar by asserting that would be “incapable” of loving a woman aged over 50.
After 2018 started with wall-to-wall excitement and largely positive stories about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, why has the tone of the coverage changed? Under the protection of anonymity some of those who are apparently close to Harry and Meghan have been happy to spill the beans. When Prince Harry and Meghan got married I think many of us had already decided where we thought this story would go: The Cambridges and the Sussexes all getting along like a house on fire.
The Queen and Prince Philip celebrate their 71st wedding anniversary on November 20, 2018.The couple were married on November 20th 1947, in a lavish ceremony at Westminster Abbey.For their anniversary however, the Queen and Prince Philip seemed to have opted for a more private affair.Here is a look back over their 71 years of marriage.
The Queen is said to be deeply saddened after her last corgi, who followed her from room to room at Buckingham Palace, died last week. Whisper, who was 12, passed away at Windsor Castle, the Daily Mail reported, after being unwell for several weeks. The Queen agreed to take him in in 2016 after the death of his owner, former Sandringham gamekeeper Bill Fenwick.
Eating oily fish, peas and beans could delay the menopause, while eating more rice and pasta could bring it on faster, a study has found. According to researchers at the University of Leeds, an additional portion of refined white pasta or rice a day could lead to women reaching the menopause about one-and-a-half-years earlier. Refined carbohydrates were found to increase the risk of insulin resistance which could interfere with sex hormones and boost oestrogen levels, increasing the possibility for an earlier menopause.
Obesity could soon be the new smoking, health professionals have warned. The claim comes as new research reveals that, as smoking rates decline and obesity levels increase, obesity could overtake smoking as the biggest cause of avoidable cancer. The Cancer Research UK study ranked the causes of the disease: smoking, excess weight, overexposure to UV radiation from the sun and sunbeds, drinking alcohol, eating too little fibre, and outdoor air pollution.
The marriage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle has received formal consent from the Queen. Henry is actually Harry's first name. As she did for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Queen will have signed an Instrument of Consent, issued under the Great Seal of the Realm.
The amount of salt and sugar in popular McDonald's products has rocketed in the last 30 years. McDonald's is the world's largest restaurant chain, with more than 34,000 branches worldwide and 1.8 million employees. "At a time when both food manufacturers and the food service industry should be making strides to reformulate and reduce the amount of foods high in sugar, salt, saturated fat and calories, McDonald's is clearly lagging behind.
A newly married couple enjoyed a wedding day photo shoot like no other as their pictures were interrupted by several police officers pursuing a suspected drug dealer. In scenes befitting of a sequel to Hot Fuzz, bystanders ordered Toby and Becky Eyre to get out the way as officers from Thames Valley Police chased the man through Hinksey Park in Oxford, just as the bride and groom were having their special pictures taken. The interruption came five minutes into their shoot with photographer Annie Crossman, who said the officers had the awareness to shout "congratulations" from their car window as the vehicles went by.