A man from Fort Worth, Texas, has died of a massive stroke after an e-cigarette exploded in his face while he was attempting to use it, according to his family. He was just weeks away from his 25th birthday.
According to NBC News, William Brown’s death certificate states he died from cerebral infarction and herniation after the debris from the exploding vape pen cut his left carotid artery.
Alice Brown, William’s grandmother who raised him, told CBS DFW, “He had a future ahead of him; a life ahead of him.”
On Jan. 29, William reportedly went to a local vaping store, Smoke & Vape DZ. The last words the licensed electrician told his grandmother were, “I’ll be right back, granny.”
According to Smoke & Vape DZ, Brown did not purchase anything from the store but asked for help using his Mechanical Mod style vape pen. He was informed by the manager that the store did not sell that brand, because it was known to have issues.
The manager called an ambulance on seeing Brown in trouble after the explosion, which occurred in William’s car in Smoke & Vape DZ’s parking lot, according to CBS DFW. He was taken by ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital (JPS) in Fort Worth.
Brown’s family told CBS DFW that doctors took X-rays and knew William had a piece of the vape pen lodged in his throat, but alleged that they never operated on him. Instead, he was put in a medically induced coma. His grandmother calls it “murder.” “He should have made it if they had done the surgery,” she told the news outlet.
Citing privacy laws, the hospital said it was not possible to discuss specifics, but did release a statement saying: “We hold ourselves to the highest standards in providing high-quality healthcare and will take family concerns seriously as we review all that transpired.”
Alice Brown said she has no intention of suing the hospital or the company that produced the e-cigarette that caused the tragic accident, because it will not bring her grandson back.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
- Ryanair passengers reportedly kept on plane for 6 hours with no food or water in 14-degree weather
- Mother of 9-year-old boy arrested after students get sick from weed gummies doled out at school
- School issues apology after principal appears in blackface as Steve Harvey at staff meeting