Toddler dies after falling in grease trap at Rochester Tim Hortons

Toddler dies after falling into grease trap in a Tim Hortons in Rochester, New York.

A toddler has died after falling into an unsecured grease trap at a Tim Hortons in Rochester, New York.

Fox News reports that the three-year-old boy had come with his mother, who is an employee at the coffee shop chain. She called the police shortly after he had left her sight.

Shortly after his disappearance, the child was found and retrieved from an uncovered grease by an unidentified witness. That person performed CPR on the toddler, as did police and paramedics. The child was pronounced dead at the hospital.


Rochester police department investigator Francis Camp called the incident a “horrible, horrible unimaginable, unspeakable tragedy.”

Camp says the lid to the grease trap was unsecured and gave way, which is how the child fell in.

The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle spoke to Ryan Horey, a spokesperson for Monroe County's Department of Public Health. He said that grease traps are generally operated by third-party companies and would not fall under the purview of restaurant inspectors since it is located away from the kitchen.

Tim Hortons released a statement, expressing their condolences.

“What occurred today was a tragedy and on behalf of the Tim Hortons family, we offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the young boy who passed away,” it said.