1 / 20

Troops shoot man after Brussels station explosion

Police and forensic officers remove items during a house search in the Molenbeek district of Brussels on Wednesday, June 21, 2017. (Francois Walschaerts/AP)

Troops shoot man after Brussels station explosion

The man who was shot dead at a Brussels train station Tuesday after attempting to explode a suitcase of nails and gas canisters was unknown to authorities as a terror suspect, a Belgian prosecutor said today.

The would-be attacker — identified by the initials “O.Z.” — was a 36-year-old of Moroccan origin, Brussels federal prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said at a news conference this morning. He said the man was not known to authorities to be involved in any terror activities, but the prosecutor did not comment on whether he had a criminal record.

Van der Sypt said the man’s home in the Molenbeek district of Brussels had been searched after the attack.

The man entered Brussels Central Station at 8:39 p.m. local time holding a suitcase and headed toward a group of people, Van der Sypt said. Five minutes later, his suitcase caught fire after a small explosion ignited in which no one was injured.

The attacker then ran down a flight of stairs toward a station employee and a soldier, Van der Sypt said. His suitcase exploded again.

As the attacker screamed “Allahu Akbar,” or “God is great,” in Arabic, a soldier shot the suspect several times, killing him. (GMA)

See more news-related photo galleries and follow us on Yahoo News Photo Twitter and Tumblr.