A report about the rigorous casting process that models endure in hopes of getting a chance to appear in the annual Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, specifically claiming that Cara Delevingne was rejected from walking the runway in 2014 for being too “bloated,” has been rejected by both Delevingne and Victoria’s Secret.
On Friday, the Paper Towns actress shared a letter written to her from Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show executive producer Ed Razek on Instagram. The post says allegations made by the Sun are false. “Contrary to The Sun’s claims, which they never bothered to fact check with me, Victoria’s Secret made every effort to have you in the London show. I know, because I was the one making the effort,” he wrote, going on to say that Delevingne was the first person they had in mind to cast for the show, which was held in London that year. “The alleged casting, where supposedly disparaging remarks were made, never happened. There was NO casting. You had already been enthusiastically confirmed.”
Razek says the real reason Delevingne wasn’t in the show was that she was shooting a movie at the time. “You would have made the show better, as you do anything and everything you’re involved in,” he wrote.
To close, Razek extended an invitation to Delevingne to join the Victoria’s Secret Fashion show in Paris this year, “no casting necessary.” Whether she will accept his offer is still up in the air.
Delevingne offered a succinct comment on the debacle, captioning her Instagram, “it’s shameless to discuss women’s bodies just to sell papers.”