Advertisement

Vin Diesel to stay with 'Fast and Furious' franchise after sexual assault lawsuit

Vin Diesel's "Fast and Furious" ride isn't over.

Diesel took to Instagram in his first public remarks about his role in the action movie series since a former assistant accused him of sexual assault in a December lawsuit. He said the "Fast" franchise writers and production team's excitement for the saga's final film was "incredibly powerful" in an Instagram post Friday.

"While everyone was heading into the weekend amped and excited, I thought of you all… reminded of the countless moments when your enthusiasm and passion became the driving force behind our creative journey," Vin Diesel said.

Vin Diesel, the "Fast and Furious" actor and action star, is continuing with the film saga after a former assistant accused him of sexual assault in a December lawsuit.
Vin Diesel, the "Fast and Furious" actor and action star, is continuing with the film saga after a former assistant accused him of sexual assault in a December lawsuit.

"Fast 11" follows last year's "Fast X," the film's tenth movie which starred Vin Diesel as Dominic "Dom" Torreto opposite Jason Momoa. "Fast 11" will mark the final installment in the beloved movie franchise.

"Your commitment to our saga has had a unique impact on its success and evolution… as my youngest daughter would say, it’s profound," the father of three told his 102 million Instagram followers.

Vin Diesel thanked "Fast and Furious" fans for their support in the statement.

"This grand finale is not just an ending; it’s a celebration of the incredible family we’ve built together," he said.

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson declares end to Vin Diesel feud, will appear in next 'Fast and Furious'

Vin Diesel lawsuit alleges actor sexually assaulted assistant in 2010 during 'Fast Five' filming

In December, Vin Diesel's former assistant Asta Jonasson alleges that the actor sexually assaulted her the fall of 2010 during the filming of "Fast Five" in a lawsuit filed in Los Angeles in December, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY.

According to the lawsuit, Jonasson was hired by the actor's production company One Race to work for him in various capacities, including organizing and accompanying Diesel to parties and ensuring she was nearby in photos if the actor attended events without his longtime girlfriend.

"We are proud to represent Ms. Jonasson and hold accountable Vin Diesel and those who allowed and covered up his sexual assault. The law exists to protect those who have been wronged, no matter how powerful or famous the defendant is. Sexual harassment in the workplace will never stop if powerful men are protected from accountability," a lawyer from Greenberg Gross, the firm representing Jonasson, said in a statement.

"This is the first he has ever heard about this more than 13-year-old claim made by a purportedly 9-day employee," Freedman said in a statement. "There is clear evidence which completely refutes these outlandish allegations.”

Contributing: Melissa Ruggieri, Bryan Alexander

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Vin Diesel continues 'Fast and Furious' after sexual assault lawsuit