Why Meghan Markle Won't Be Posing for Photos After She Gives Birth (Exclusive)

Scott Baumgartner‍
Why Meghan Markle Won't Be Posing for Photos After She Gives Birth (Exclusive)

Meghan Markle is doing things her way!

On Thursday, Kensington Palace revealed that the pregnant Duchess of Sussex is breaking with protocol regarding the arrival of her first child with husband Prince Harry.

First and foremost, the couple will not be immediately announcing the birth of their child. Additionally, unlike Prince William and Kate Middleton, who posed for photos outside St. Mary’s Hospital following the arrival of their three children, Meghan and Harry will have a photo op with their newborn on the grounds of Windsor Castle when they are ready.

Now, a royal source is sharing with ET why Meghan has decided to break with tradition.

"Meghan Markle does not want the pressure of having to pose on the steps for cameras so soon after childbirth," the source says, adding that, while the couple is "extremely excited" for the birth of their first child, they intend to “enjoy the magic of childhood without any undue expectations."

Karwai Tang/WireImage

However, the source clarifies that the wait for images of the couple’s little bundle of joy shouldn’t be all that long following Baby Sussex's arrival. Fans will likely "see photos within a few days of the birth but it’s down to how the duchess is feeling."

The royal family has been very supportive of Meghan and Harry’s decision to do things their own way, the source says, noting that the couple has spent a wonderful first week in their new home, Frogmore Cottage, and looking forward to their future.

"Windsor is a very special place for the couple and they are looking forward to this next stage in their lives," the source adds.

However, when the pair’s child does arrive, some tried and true customs will be honored. Queen Elizabeth II will be the first to be notified before other members of the royal family. Then, when they are ready, Buckingham Palace will share a statement with the public.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby," read the statement from Kensington Palace on Thursday. "Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private."

"The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family," the statement concludes.

However, this doesn’t mean that Baby Sussex’s arrival will be a total mystery. The press corps will be allowed on the Long Walk of Windsor when it’s announced that Markle is going to labor. This is where the couple greeted onlookers on a carriage ride following their 2018 nuptials.

And, according to reporting, the couple doesn’t intend to travel far when the big moment arrives. Meghan is considering having their child delivered at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey, which is close to Windsor.

As for Meghan’s well-being, our insider shares that she continues to stay fit and active, regularly doing yoga.

"[They] are keen that their child will be able to enjoy their privacy away from the goldfish bowl," a source previously told ET. "Harry's attention is completely absorbed with the birth of his first child. He can't wait to become a father. He's been doing everything he can to put Meghan at ease."

See more on the soon-to-be parents below:

RELATED CONTENT:

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Break in Tradition for Baby Sussex

Oprah Winfrey Stands Up for Meghan Markle and Her 'Wonderful, Warm, Giving, Loving Heart'

Pippa and Kate Middleton Have Plenty to Show Meghan Markle About Acing the New Mom Style Game

Related Articles: