Woman shares heart-wrenching warning after dog dies in common home accident

Jessica Ankomah

<i>Image via Facebook/Christina Young</i>
Image via Facebook/Christina Young

Christina Young is grieving the loss of her pitbull pup after a common household hazard tragically claimed his life. Now the pet owner says she feels obligated to tell others of the dangers that loom in their own homes.

Young was at work when her playful dog, Petey Pablo, trapped his snout in an open bag of chips her and her partner had left out on the counter. Gasping for air and alone, Petey succumbed to suffocation.

“One week ago I kissed my baby boy goodbye on my way out for work. But I had no idea it would be for the last time,” Young wrote in a heartbreaking Facebook post. “On Monday, Christian beat me home from work by about 10 min and was surprised when Petey didn’t greet him at the door like usual.”

ALSO SEE: Why taking a bath is a ‘milestone’ moment for this blogger

“As he walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head,” she continued. “He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. He ate every chip out but of course went back for crumbs. With there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter and tighter around his head., ultimately resulting in suffocation.”

<i>Image via Facebook/Christina Young</i>
Image via Facebook/Christina Young

Young said Petey was a smart dog, and at first, she couldn’t understand why he wouldn’t use his paws to pull the bag off his head. Then, after a little research, she found out how horribly common it is for pets to die this way.

“Three to five pet suffocations get reported every week and four per cent of those occur while the owner is in the next room. It only takes about three minutes for their oxygen to drop to fatal levels,” she wrote.

According to PreventVet, few owners understand the danger and that it can happen to pets of every size and with food bags of many varieties.

ALSO SEE: Model slams weight critics after being fat-shamed by her dermatologist

The “very overprotective dog mama” admits she, herself, was never aware.

“In fact, 90 per cent of the incidents reported the owner had never heard of this until it happened to them (us included). Chip bags, cereal bags, bread bags, popcorn bags, dog/cat treat bags seem to be the most common,” she said.

“So I just ask that in honour of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners and give your fur babies some extra love today and everyday after this. I pray none of you ever have to experience your heart breaking this way.”

Let us know what you think by commenting below and tweeting @YahooStyleCA! Follow us on Twitter and Instagram!