Cute pets are definitely a highlight of the internet – in fact, YouTube is full of videos featuring cats with attitudes and goofy dogs, but one woman who has a pet fennec fox is making waves online.
Sonia Sae is a vegan blogger who is raising her pet fox on a similar diet. According to experts, the diet of a fennec fox is primarily carnivore, with 90% of their diet being made up of rodents, birds, rabbits and insects. The other 10% are plants the fox digs up.
While experts acknowledge that a fennec fox can live in captivity, they still require a highly carnivore diet.
“Fennec should be eating several dozen mealworms, crickets, silkworms or other insects a day, along with eggs, as they rob nests in the wild. Any type of bug or insect is great. You can also feed mice or pinky mice. Others choose to feed raw meat. If you choose to go with a commercial food, please make sure that it is one high in taurine and meat products,” reads fennecfoxes.net.
Here is a little bit of information + education about fennec foxes and the difference between underweight and hair loss….
Sae boasts on her Facebook page that Jumanji is perfectly healthy despite his vitamins coming from a “victimless source.”
According to Sae, Jumanji is half blind, suffers random seizures and has a severe skin condition, but she refuses the correlation between Jumanji’s poor health and his vegan diet.
People online have taken to social media to call out the vegan blogger for animal abuse.
Guys people need to call the SPCA on Sonia sae. she feeds her fennec fox a VEGAN DIET. They need meat to live.
— Fern (@Fern11223) March 3, 2018
This hardcore vegan. Not only she forcing her lifestyle on humans, shes also forcing it on a pet fox that is classified as carnivore. Aka meat eating fox #soniasae #vegan #crazyvegan #fox #fennecfox #carnivore pic.twitter.com/aLEf6gizu4
— HejSejeee. (@sioesundbro) March 4, 2018
The stuff with Sonia Sae feeding her fennec fox a vegan diet is so sad. I wish people like this wouldn't force their diet on their pets and also give vegans a bad name. It's horrific..
— Snake Mom (@SolivagaSerpent) March 7, 2018
Sae doesn’t believe Jumanji’s diet is the source of his ailments, claiming those who feed their pets an animal-based diet are the abusers.
“They use the word ‘abuse’ to describe the act of feeding [it] food that no animal had to die for. Despite the obvious oxymoron, any other non-vegan alternative DOES involve abuse by default,” wrote Sae, according to Bored Panda.
While it isn’t confirmed where Sae is located, some Twitter users are making a plea to their followers to contact the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to report Sae.
Abusing an animal by starving them to death because you think a carnivore eating meat is abuse??? This girls name is sonia sae she lives in New Jersey, please report her to the aspca of that area please and thank you https://t.co/sGmNIPGdRz
— Aubrey Herndon (@aubreyherndon) March 4, 2018
If y’all know who this Sonia Sae YouTuber is, please report her. This is disgusting & shouldn’t at all be what vegan is. https://t.co/CBYGVdP0jF
— jazz (@yourwifejazz) March 4, 2018
#SoniaSae belongs in prison. If you want a vegan pet, get a rabbit or a guinea pig. Don't force your dietary beliefs on carnivorous animals or even omnivorous animals. #stopanimalcruelty #BeKindToAnimals https://t.co/c6YagrH5Zp
— Zaphtik (@zaphtik) March 6, 2018
Sae has since made her channels private.