Family gaming replacing TV, the 'Greta Effect' and plastic-free living are among the top trends expected to shape parenting in the next decade.
Jaden Smith is just 20 years old, and not only is he a singer, artist, and actor, but also he just added fashion designer to his resumé.Over the weekend at Hypefest, a two-day immersive festival featuring retail booths, musical acts, and installations, Smith unveiled his new sustainable collection with G-Star Raw. “G-Star clothes give you superpowers,” said Smith at the press event. “You can ‘fly’ when you wear them.” He was referencing the teaser video for the collection, in which Smith is seen floating throughout various natural spaces (sunsets, waterfalls, mountains) wearing G-Star, a metaphor for the clothing’s inherent connection with the elements when worn.“The entire inspiration for the collection came from nature and wanting to explore outside and seeing these beautiful waterfalls, seeing these beautiful sunsets, seeing these beautiful vistas with these animals,” said Smith. “I just want to remind people [when you’re] getting caught up in the world so much, let’s not forget the forces of nature. Let’s not forget water, fire, wind, [and] earth.”The “Forces of Nature” collection is composed of three color stories: blue, ecru, and black, each representing a different aspect of nature: water, earth, and eclipse, respectively. The entire collection is produced sustainably, a big part of why Smith partnered with G-Star. The garments are entirely made of organic cotton, and all the prints used are digitally printed.In each color story, you’ll find a jean jacket, hoodie, pair of patchwork jeans, T-shirt, crossbody bag, and baseball cap. Each item features a digital print of a waterfall, an eclipse, or wildlife with the word “Raw” across it. The collection is tailor-made for the streetwear-obsessed and those who consider themselves “hypebeasts” but are environmentally conscious as well.For the blue denim collection, G-Star spent about a year developing a special technology to reinvent the way their denim was dyed with indigo. Their proprietary new denim, now called Cradle to Cradle Certified Gold G-Star Denim Fabric, uses 70 percent fewer chemicals and uses less salt overall. Furthermore, 98 percent of the water used in production is recyclable, and the remaining 2 percent evaporates, so there is no water waste.In creating the black denim collection, 52 percent less water, 65 percent less energy, 71 percent less CO2, and 14 percent fewer chemicals were used in its production, making it one of the most sustainable black denims available in the market. The ecru collection features all undyed denim. It allows the raw organic cotton’s natural sandy shade to shine in its own right. “It’s really beautiful because you get to see some of the impurities that are actually in the cotton before it gets dyed,” said a G-Star brand representative at the event. “Because it’s undyed, this is as sustainable as it can get.”Smith added, “When you’re thinking sustainably, you want to always try to do less in certain areas.” When Jaden was in Amsterdam with the G-Star team designing the collection, it was important to him to ensure that they always “thought sustainably throughout every step of the process.”Click ahead to shop the new G-Star and Jaden Smith “Forces of Nature” collection. It is available now at g-star.com and retails for $55-$360.Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:• 12 bags that look like Meghan Markle’s ‘it’ purse — for less • Shop the best fall workwear from Ann Taylor, Target, and more • The best under-$500 wedding dresses to wear in 2019Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for nonstop inspiration delivered fresh to your feed, every day.
In honor of Earth Day, Yahoo Lifestyle is spotlighting Eileen Fisher, a company that champions sustainability, with the goal of being a fashion brand that will last for generations to come.
The super stylish duo are seen donning the floral bedding in a now-viral post that has us wishing our textile skills were this good.
Environmentally responsible fashion brands may be small, but their mission is huge: to change the landscape of fashion toward one that's entirely sustainable.
All of the steps to how H&M’s Conscious Sweater is made. “Fast fashion can be both ethical and sustainable.” Can any fashion brand make such a statement, or is it just a big old oxymoron? The closest affordable brand that meets those criteria may surprise you: the Swedish giant H&M.
Emma Watson is taking her newest Disney role to heart (and her wardrobe). For last night’s London premiere of Beauty and the Beast, the British actress stepped out in a Cinderella-esque blue gown. The off-the-shoulder design by Emilia Wickstead featured a huge train that required its own handler on the grassy carpet.